In a bold administrative move, the Naveen Patnaik government Thursday decided to cancel around 6,000 irregular allotment of houses and plots in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack since January 1, 1995.
Quoting report by senior IAS officer Taradutt-headed taskforce, chief secretary G C Pati said around 1,791 allotments of plots, flats and houses under discretionary quota by the Bhubaneswar Development Authority, Cuttack Development Authority and Orissa State Housing Board would be cancelled.
Among the allottees include Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram, several current and former ministers, scores of IAS and IPS officers, former and current high court judges, state chief information commissioner T K Mishra, former CJI G B Patnaik and journalists. The cabinet during a meeting on Thursday cleared the report which was submitted to the government last month.
Citing the 1996 SC judgement that struck down discretionary allotment of petrol pump by then Congress minister Satish Sharma as illegal, the Taradutt report recommended cancellation of all discretionary quota allotments made since January 1 1995.
The government clarified that in six months, the BDA, the OSHB and general administration departments would examine all discretionary quota allotments since 1982 when the system was started.
Reacting to the development, BJD spokesperson Samir Das hailed the decision saying it proved the CM doesn’t tolerate violation of rules.
Senior BJP leader Bijoy Mohapatra said: “The government must order an inquiry by an independent agency”.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines