Hours after the Supreme Court observed that allegations made against him “seemed prima facie credible” and directed him to stay away from the probe into the 2G scam, CBI Director Ranjit Sinha said he was taking comfort from the fact that no “personal aspersions’’ had been cast against him.
Speaking to The Indian Express, Sinha said: “I had offered to recuse myself from the 2G probe when the whole issue of the visitors’ diary was first taken up by the Supreme Court. Now that an order to this effect has come, I have to comply with it. But while the court has asked me not to interfere in the probe, no personal aspersions have been made against me.”
The 2G probe, he said, was at the trial stage even before he was appointed Director and there was no role for him to monitor the probe.
“What is the role left for me in any case? Even earlier, the Supreme Court has asked a CBI officer to recuse himself from the coal allocation case. This time, they have asked me to stay away from the 2G case. The trial is in the final stage. Even in the Aircel-Maxis matter, the chargesheet has been filed and some part of the probe is being handled at the international end and we are awaiting details from other countries… There is no role for the Director to play.”
Incidentally, Sinha tried to distance himself from comments made by his counsel, Vikas Singh, in the courtroom on Wednesday. Singh had named DIG Santosh Rastogi as a possible “mole” who had been leaking information to petitioner Prashant Bhushan.
“I have not named anyone before the court. I do not know how he has been named. But the fact is that there are some disgruntled elements within the agency and that is why every sort of sensitive information from my office has been leaking out,” Sinha said.
He said he was not “precisely” aware how information was being leaked. “There have been a number of occasions and I have tried to plug the leaks. Action has also been taken against some officers but I wish to clarify that nobody has been named by me personally,” he said.