The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday filed charge sheets in connection with two separate incidents of violence that were carried out by the NDFB(S) faction in Baksa district in Assam in may last year, naming as many as eight militants for these crimes.
While two hardcore NDFB(S) cadres Bikanush Narzary and Swmkwr Basumatary were named in the charge sheet pertaining to an attack on people of a religious minority community living in village Narsingbari on May 1, 2014 in which two persons were killed, six other NDFB(S) cadres were named in the other case pertaining to an attack on Khagrabari village in the same district in which 36 persons had lost their lives one day later.
Wednesday’s charge sheet pertaining to the May 2 incident in Khagrabari village was supplementary to an earlier charge sheet filed on October 31, 2014 in which the NIA had named six persons – Enon Borgoyari, Rahul Islary, Jaleswar Basumatary, Surjoy Goyari, Anan Brahma, and Nagen Boro – a press release issued by the investigating agency said. The previous charge sheet submitted last year had named Rojen Boro, Jayanta Boro, Nirjwm Basumatary and Mallajit Kherkatari and trial against these four accused is currently on in the Special NIA Court in Guwahati, the press release said.
The NIA press release said a group of NDFB(S) militants had carried out the May 2, 2014 attack on innocent people belonging to a religious minority community of Khagrabari in connivance with some employees of the forest department employed in the Manas National Park. The 36 victims of the attack, during which the entire village was also set on fire, included several women and children, bodies of many of whom were fished out from the Beki river.
The NIA had only on Monday submitted another charge sheet naming four dreaded NDFB(S) militants in connection with the incident of a ghastly attack on Adivasi settlers of a village in Sonitpur district on December 23 last year in which 30 persons were killed.