With fresh revelations suggesting that Jawaharlal Nehru kept a track on the activities of Subhas Chandra Bose’s kin, the Congress on Sunday accused the BJP government of “floating motivated half-truths and untruths” in the media to malign national icons.
Senior Congress leader Anand Sharma said reports suggesting snooping on family of Netaji are “motivated news plants based on selective and mischievous leaks.”
“The BJP and government are running a sinister campaign of innuendoes, insinuations and selective leaks aimed at maligning national icons and our founding fathers including Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabhbhai Patel, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Govind Ballabh Pant and others,” he said.
- War of words between PM, Congress escalates; threatens House Monsoon Session
- ‘Sick mindset’ of PM Modi an issue of national concern: Congress’ Anand Sharma
- Indira Gandhi’s contribution cannot be written off because of Emergency move: Shiv Sena
- From Nehru to Modi, nobody made effort to bring Netaji’s ashes back: Grandnephew Ashis Ray
- Unlike Hitler, Nehru betrayed his nation, says Subhas Chandra Bose’s grandnephew
- Congress, BJP spar over ‘snooping’ on Netaji’s relatives
“Such motivated half-truths and untruths are being floated in the media by Modi government with the sole aim of diverting the attention of people from miserable performance, betrayal of mandate and failed promises of Prime Minister Narendra Modi whose government will be completing its first year in power in May 2015,” Sharma said in a statement.
Referring to reports that Nehru had in 1957 wrote to the then Foreign Secretary seeking to know what Bose’s nephew Amiya Nath Bose was doing in Tokyo, Sharma said this itself contradicts earlier stories about IB surviellance on Bose’s family.
“One is forced to wonder as to how and why an enquiry by a Prime Minister – in most transparent manner and vide written note sent through the proper channel of Foreign Secretary and Ambassador – about a close associate of a family can be construed as snooping or espionage,” he said.
“The entire exercise is a diversionary tactic and gimmick on part of the PM and BJP government to again befool the people. Unfortunately, Modi government is indulging in extremely dangerous, petty and ridiculous means,” he said.