G Mohan Kumar, the current Secretary, Defence Production, has been appointed as the new Defence Secretary.
Kumar will take over from R K Mathur, who retires on May 24.
- Govt appoints G Satheesh Reddy as DRDO chief
- G Satheesh Reddy appointed as DRDO chief for two years
- Govt picks new DRDO chief, scientific advisor to defence minister
- Defence secretary R K Mathur’s additional charge as DRDO chief extended
- Defence Secretary R K Mathur gets DRDO charge
- Missile man Avinash Chander appointed new DRDO Chief
“The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Shri G Mohan Kumar, Secretary, Defence Production as Defence Secretary, Ministry of Defence for a period of two years from the date of taking over the charge,” said an order by the Department of Personnel & Training on Friday.
Mathur’s retirement will also create a vacancy in the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), given that he is currently holding the additional charge as DRDO chief after the retirement of Avinash Chander on January 31.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had recently said that a replacement for DRDO chief would be found on time.
Ashok Kumar Gupta, currently Special Secretary, Department of Defence Production, will replace Kumar as the Secretary, Defence Production.