Marriage palaces likely to pay a higher pricehttps://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/marriage-palaces-likely-to-pay-a-higher-price/

Marriage palaces likely to pay a higher price

The state government has proposed that marriage palaces across the state will have to pay a minimum of Rs 13.60 lakh per acre and maximum of Rs 1.72 crore per acre as external development charges (EDC),change of land use (CLU) and licensing fees (LF) to the government with retrospective effect.

The state government has proposed that marriage palaces across the state will have to pay a minimum of Rs 13.60 lakh per acre and maximum of Rs 1.72 crore per acre as external development charges (EDC),change of land use (CLU) and licensing fees (LF) to the government with retrospective effect. At present,the government charges a minimum of Rs 3 lakh and a maximum of Rs 22 lakh per acre from hotels.

Sources said the government plans to charge marriage palaces the most in SAS Nagar (category 1 — local planning area of SAS Nagar). While EDC will be Rs 1.26 crore per acre,CLU for palaces on the national highway will be Rs 52.79 lakh per acre and the amount for state highways and other roads will be Rs 35.21 lakh per acre,besides LF.

The government has calculated these charges by presuming that 35 per cent of the plot is covered and the rest is left open — while 35 per cent of the area is being commuted at the commercial rate,the remaining 65 per cent is being calculated at residential rates.

For palaces in Zirakpur,Kharar,Dera Bassi,Banur and Mullapur,the palace owners will have to pay Rs 1.58 crore per acre as CLU,EDC and LF charges. While for Ludhiana,the amount is Rs 95 lakh per acre,for Jalandhar and Amritsar,it is Rs 85 lakh per acre. For palaces in Sangrur,Faridkot,Ferozepur,Muktsar,Kapurthala ,Gurdaspur and SBS Nagar,the rate proposed is Rs 14.47 lakh per acre. For areas,which are not included in any category,the rate is Rs 13.60 lakh per acre. In all,the government has proposed a total of 13 categories for the 4,000-odd marriage palaces across the state. It has also proposed that 50 per cent of the total area be used for parking.

Advertising

In the proposal,the government has admitted that the palaces have to be classified as a special building category as till date,such palaces were considered purely to be of commercial activity. But now,not only weddings,but religious and social functions are held at these palaces.

A spokesman of the marriage palace association said: “A meeting was held recently of marriage palace association. The members were of the view that the rates proposed are very high. Either the government will have to bring down the rate or make it at par with hotels,or the owners will have no option but to shut their palaces from March 31,2013.”

Who is the election result winner in your Lok Sabha constituency? Click here to find out. Get real-time updates, news and analysis on the 2019 Lok Sabha election results only at indianexpress.com/elections | For a deep dive on the elections check out data.indianexpress.com