Follow Us:
Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Man wins paternity suit month after father’s death

Legal battle began after he faced passport problems.

Written by Shaju Philip | Thiruvanthapuram | Published: October 16, 2014 1:45:37 am

After being deprived of parental care for years, a 37-year-old Kerala man finally won a paternity suit, but one-a-half-month after his father died.

Ambady Gopalakrishnan, a final-year law student, was forced to move the paternity suit in a civil court at Paravoor in Ernakulam district in 2008, after his father advocate Pazhambillissery Devadas refused to recognise him as his biological son. But the legal battle went to the high court after Devadas appealed against the petition.

A few months back, the court ordered Gopalakrishnan to give his blood samples for DNA test. A week after the samples were collected to be tested at the DNA Fingerprinting Lab of Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnolgy, Thiruvananthapuram, Devadas — who was seriously ill — died. However, the result of the DNA test confirmed that Devadas was the biological father of Goapalakrishan.

“My father and mother, belonging to different caste, were living separately since my childhood and I was brought up as an orphan,’’ Goapalakrishan said.

He added that the issue of the legal battle to prove Devadas his father emerged when he wanted to apply for a passport. “I wanted to go to Gulf to bag a job and keep away from the family problems. My birth was not registered. When I approached the revenue authorities, they wanted to conduct an inquiry in my family. When my father came to know about the inquiry, he objected to the issuing of certificate with his name as my father.’’

This marked the beginning of the battle.

Gopalakrishnan’s father married his mother Elsy alias Jaya, who was a Christian, in 1972 after converting her to a Hindu. But, the marriage was not accepted by the bridegroom’s conservative family.

“When my mother was about to give birth to me, father asked the hospital authorities to hand over the child (me) to an orphanage and convince mother that her baby died. However, she came to know about it from the hospital staff and returned to the rented house where I was born,’’ says Gopalakrishnan.

The youth said his father was not happy with whatever happened and went to Mumbai to study law. Years after, he returned home and developed an affair with the houseowner’s daughter. When Jaya questioned the relationship, Devadas and his brothers began to torture her. Later, she returned to her home.

After this, Devadas shifted to another house, but little Gopalakrishnan stayed with Gopalankutty, the owner of the house where he was born.

Now, Gopalakrishnan, married and father of two, is living with his mother. He runs a DTP centre.

Gopalakrishnan’s lawyer K P Satheeshan said since the paternity was proved, the high court would forward the report to the family court, which would dispose the case finally.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App