A social worker, who volunteers for AAP, was arrested and sent to jail after he allegedly tried to click a ‘selfie’ while handing over a memorandum to a woman Sub-Divisional Magistrate in Allahabad. He later clarified that though he tried to take a photo, it was only to keep a record of his handing over her the memorandum.
According to sources, Sunil Chowdhary had gone to the office of SDM (Sadar), Harshita, an under-trainee IAS officer, to hand over a memorandum against illegal brothels in Meerganj locality, close to Chowk. Chowdhary reportedly tried to take a photo of the SDM accepting his memorandum using the selfie-mode. But the SDM considered this inappropriate and the police was called in, following which he was taken to Colonelganj police station. He was then taken into custody and sent to jail.
According to the police, Chowdhary was arrested under sections 151, 107 of the CrPC and sent to jail. “In such cases, bail is granted by the Additional City Magistrate. He was released on Wednesday from Naini Central Jail,” said Siddhartha Tomar, SHO of Colonelganj police station.
- What kept Munna Bajrangi going? Clues in a carpet shop, Purulia arms drop and a mortuary
- Uttar Pradesh: Inter-faith couple assaulted in Bijnor
- Madhya Pradesh: BJYM leader held for sexually harassing, kicking woman police inspector
- Uttar Pradesh Police recruitment exam: 18 arrested for impersonation, forgery
- Alipore jail doctor held for ‘supplying drugs to inmates’
- Out on bail, man ‘barges into woman’s house, ties her up and rapes her’
Chowdhary on Thursday said: “I did take a photograph, but only to keep it as a matter of record. The officer in question was not ready to give me an official receipt of the memorandum, which I was insisting upon.”