Maggi row: Nestle withdraws popular noodles from shelves across India

"The trust of our consumers and the safety of our products is our first priority," Nestle India said in a statement

By: ENS Economic Bureau | New Delhi | Updated: June 5, 2015 10:43:13 am
the media coverage about this controversy has led FDA officials to issue oral instructions to distributors to restrict the sale to the general consumer. Nestle’ India said ‘the trusted MAGGI Noodles will be back in the market as soon as the current situation is clarified’.

Facing ban across several states in the country and a threat of nationwide ban looming large on Maggi noodles on account of more than permissible limit of lead and MSG in various samples, Nestle has decided to take the products off the shelves.

In a statement issued late in the night, Nestle said, “The trust of our consumers and the safety of our products is our first priority. Unfortunately, recent developments and unfounded concerns about the product have led to an environment of confusion for the consumer, to such an extent that we have decided to withdraw the product off the shelves, despite the product being safe.”

The company however claimed in its release that Maggi Noodles is completely safe and has been trusted in India for over 30 years and promised that the noodles will be back in the market as soon as the current situation is clarified.

In the meantime, Nestle’s global CEO, Paul Bulcke is set to hold a press conference in New Delhi on Friday.

Earlier on Thursday, Nestle made a presentation to the Health Ministry and defended the quality of Maggi noodles. It said that the samples detected with excess lead in Uttar Pradesh, which triggered nationwide scrutiny were past the expiry date.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App