A leopard was killed by mob after it injured a child and a constable in a locality under Bairgachhi police outpost in Araria, police said on Thursday.
The leopard strayed into Bairgachhi-Araria locality and attacked a child and a police constable Surendra Kumar Bharti and injured the two severely, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Rajiv Ranjan said.
Soon, a mob gathered at the spot and an unidentified man shot at the animal killing it on the spot, Ranjan said.
- The man-eating leopard(s) of Rudraprayag
- Six children killed in road accident in Bihar
- Bihar: Junior engineer shot in Araria
- Uttarakhand: After killing two children, leopard in Bageshwar declared man-eater
- Leopard burnt alive in Uttar Pradesh’s Bahraich
- Leopard stoned to death as officials held hostage
Both the victims were taken to Sadar hospital for treatment, the ASP said adding, the cop had risked his own life to rescue the child from the leopard.
A forest team rushed to the spot to probe the killing of the leopard and a case was lodged against unidentified persons under provisions of the Wild Protection Act, 1972 for killing the leopard, Ranjan added.