Kasab: Media says charges filed,Pak Govt denies it

Geo News earlier had reported that a case had been filed against Ajmal Amir Kasab,and 12 others in connection with the terror strikes. However,later Dawn News reported quoting Interior Ministry chief Rahman Malik as denying that any case was filed by FIA against anyone in connection with the Mumbai attacks.

Written by Agencies | Islamabad | Published: February 11, 2009 9:03:32 pm

Confusion prevailed over reports that Pakistani authorities on Wednesday filed a case against Ajmal Amir Kasab,the lone terrorist captured alive during the Mumbai attacks,and 12 others in connection with the terror strikes.

TV channels quoted unidentified sources as saying that the case was registered on the basis of the probe conducted by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and the decision made by the Defence Committee of the Cabinet during its meeting on Monday.

The case was filed under the Anti-Terrorism Act,Geo News channel reported.

It quoted sources as saying that the case was registered at the Dockyard Police Station in Karachi.

Geo News also said that among the others named in the case were three persons who were arrested in Karachi. Nine more persons had been identified but were yet to be taken into custody,the channel reported.

However,later Dawn News channel reported quoting Interior Ministry chief Rahman Malik as denying that any case was filed by FIA against anyone in connection with the Mumbai attacks.

It quoted Malik as saying that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has already said that the nation will be taken into confidence regarding any decision into the matter. Media should not speculate,he was quoted as saying.

Dawn News channel also quoted Information Minister Sherry Rehman as saying that no case has been registered against anyone so far in connection with the Mumbai attacks.

During its meeting on Monday,the Defence Committee of the Cabinet had decided to register a case and conduct further investigations to bring the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks to justice according to Pakistan laws.

The meeting,which was chaired by Prime Minister Gilani,said it would be “exceedingly difficult to complete the investigation and proceed with the case” without “substantial evidence” from India. It also decided to send further queries to Indian authorities.

Pakistan detained or placed under surveillance some 124 members of Lashker-e-Toiba and its front organization Jamaat-ud-Dawah in the wake of the Mumbai attacks. The LeT and Jamaat founder Hafiz Mohammed Saeed,LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and communications expert Zarar Shah are among those detained.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement