With mortar shelling from Pakistan restarting in Balakote sector on Thursday night, there has been no let up in incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops along the Line of Control in Poonch district.
Pointing out the shelling that started at Dharati village around 8.20 pm, sources said that this has been the third consecutive day that Pakistani troops have been targeting forward Indian positions and civilian areas along the LoC in Poonch. The Indian army was also retaliating, sources said, adding that there were no reports of casualty or damage on the Indian side.
The shells are still falling here and there in our village, Shadham Khan, Sarpanch of Dharati panchayat, told The Indian Express on phone at 9.30 pm. “We have taken refuge inside our house,’’ he said, adding that details about casualty or damage, if any, will be known only after shelling stops.
Basharat Ahmad of Basooni said that two shells had fallen near the Balakote police post as well. However, there was no damage. The mortar shells were flying over the residential areas ahead of the barbed wire fence and falling deep inside the Indian side, he added.
The latest spate of shelling from across the border has led to panic among villagers who, however, are yet to migrate to safer places. “Where shall we go with our family members and cattle herds,’’ asked Shadham Khan. Despite assurances for initiating measures for our safety from visiting ruling politicians and senior officials from district administration, nothing has been done on ground so far, he added.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines