Police on Friday arrested a rickshaw-puller for allegedly vandalising the statues of Baby Jesus and Mother Mary at the Saint Mary’s Church in Agra’s Rakabganj area on April 16.
Haider, 24, a resident of Sultanpura locality, damaged the statues as he was angry after his girlfriend, a frequent visitor to the church, stopped seeing him, police claimed.
According to police, Haider had fallen in love with a girl who used to work as a maid in the Pratappura locality where the church is located, about three months ago. Police said the girl used to meet him near the church.
- Sex scandals, land scam and suppressing cases against priests: A look into what forced Kerala Church to the edge
- Explained: Sexual assault charges against Christian priests in Kerala
- Rape case against another Malankara church priest
- Patthalgarhi latest to trigger face-off between BJP, Church in Jharkhand
- Sexual assault: Kottayam nun to go ahead with legal action against Bishop
- Five Kerala priests ‘blackmail, sexually abuse’ woman
According to a police spokesperson, Haider told investigators that the girl used to go to the church to pray after their meeting every Saturday.
IG, Agra Zone, D C Mishra said Haider had gone to meet the girl on the night of April 15 but he could not meet her as there was a function taking place at the church. The girl was also working at the church at the time of the function.
“He was drunk that night and returned home after failing to meet her. But he again went to the church around 2 am and entered the church premises where he indulged in vandalism,” said Mishra.
Mishra said Haider committed the incident under the influence of alcohol and has claimed that he regretted damaging the statues later.
Two statues of Baby Jesus and one statue of Mother Mary were found vandalised in the church on April 16.