Jamshedpur simmers, curfew lifted for 4 hours

On Monday, some youths at Mango allegedly passed remarks at a teenage girl who was returning from a nearby cinema hall.

By: Express News Service | Jamshedpur | Published: July 23, 2015 3:23:14 am
jamshedpur clashes, jamshedpur, jharkhand clashes, jharkhand curfew, jamshedpur curfew, clashes in jharkhand, jamshedpur news, jharkhand news, latest news, india news, Security personnel patrol Jamshedpur’s Mango area on Wednesday. (Source: PTI)

Following clashes between two communities over an alleged incident of harassment on Monday, Jamshedpur continued to be in the grip of communal tension on Wednesday. The curfew, which was clamped on Tuesday night, was relaxed for four hours except in the areas worst hit by the clashes.

Over 100 people have been arrested for engaging in the clashes and damaging government and public property. Four FIRs naming about 150 people have been lodged. No formal complaint, however, has been lodged against the youths involved in the alleged harassment incident. There have been no reports of any casualty. Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das has ordered an inquiry into the communal clash.

East Singhbhum Deputy Commissioner Amitabh Kaushal confirmed that no untoward incident had been reported. He added that the curfew would continue for some time as a precautionary measure.

Share This Article
Related Article

“We have extended four hours of relaxation in curfew from 1 pm to 5 pm in Jamshedpur, but not in the affected police station areas of Mango, Azadnagar, Olidih and the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital area,” Kaushal said.

Deputy Superintendent of Police P Jascinta Kerketta said the situation was well under control as no fresh incident had taken place since Tuesday night. “We have adequate forces including paramilitary forces from Patna,” she said.

On Wednesday, CRPF staged a flag march in the affected areas to raise confidence among people. Schools and colleges will remain closed on Thursday.

On Monday, some youths at Mango allegedly passed remarks at a teenage girl who was returning from a nearby cinema hall. The incident triggered a clash that continued for over two hours till police intervened. Several shops in the area were damaged in the violence.

Two police officers were injured in stone pelting by those involved in the clash.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App