In a climbdown from its earlier stand, the Jadavpur University (JU) authorities Monday expressed willingness to talk to the agitating students even as the state government announced the formation of a five-member committee headed by Calcutta University Vice-Chancellor (V-C) Suranjan Das to investigate into the alleged sexual harassment of the girl student.
The agitating students, however, remained adamant on the boycott of classes till the V-C resigned and charges against the students who were arrested were dropped. Monday was the sixth day of protests that began Wednesday and aggravated after an alleged police lathicharge.
“We want a fair and fast inquiry into the molestation case. We also demand the resignation of the V-C and that all charges against the 36 students who were arrested should be dropped. Till these demands are met, we will continue with the boycott,” said a second year student of MA. He said the students will also organise a citizens’ convention on September 24 at the university ground and a rally to Lalbazar would be put up the day after.
The university authorities, however, said they have decided to pay for the treatment of the injured students as well.
“We will see to it that none of the students arrested on September 17 are harmed. Also, among the university students who had been injured that day and had to be hospitalised, we will help them with any medical support they need,” said P K Ghosh, Registrar, JU.
V-C Abhijit Chakraborty too expressed willingness to get into a dialogue with the student. “I have been telling about initiating a dialogue since Friday. They can decide a date and I can sit with them across the table and try to find a solution,” he said.