Following the Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) performance in the Delhi Assembly elections, the Gujarat government is tracking the party’s activities and progress in the state.
On January 1, the AAP organised a voters’ awareness drive in parts of the state. Two days later, the office of the Additional Director General of Police (Intelligence) prepared a confidential report on the event. The report was submitted to the Additional Chief Secretary (Home) on January 6, and is set to be forwarded to the Chief Minister’s Office.
The report gives details of the AAP’s awareness drive with specific names and locations. It includes details on the outcome of the drive, drawing attention to visits and support by members of the Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) led by Keshubhai Patel.
Some excerpts from the report:
* At Rajkot, Prakash Girish Thakar (AAP secretary) led the rally with nearly 100 motorists. Active leader of GPP Jaysukh Khunt came to meet them. Around 100 to 150 new members were registered by AAP.
* Pramod Bhatt (convenor) led the programme at Nadiyad and registered around 200 new members.
* At Godhra, Prakash Barot (AAP convenor) led the rally. Around 130 new members were registered.
* Fomer BJP MLA (Mahuva) Dr Kanu Kalsaria led the rally at Bhavnagar. Similarly, former BJP MLA Hanu Dhorajia led the rally in his area of Lathi in Amreli district.
* At Surendranagar, Jaydevsinh Anbhadra Jadeja led voters’ awareness rally and appealed to people to join AAP.
*In Bharuch, Jayendrasinh Rana, a local leader, led the voters’ registration drive and appealed to people to join AAP.
The report comes at time when the AAP has alleged “harassment” by the State Intelligence Bureau.
The Home department’s seal — which indicates that it has received the document — on the report reads: application no: 187, date 6/1/2014. The sender is listed as serial no: JM/2/AAP/Program/17/14, the office of ADGP (Intelligence), Gujarat State Police Headquarters, Gandhinagar.
However, when contacted, Additional Chief Secretary (Home) S K Nanda said, “I have not received any such report’’.
Director General of Police P C Thakur, under whom the office of the Additional DGP (Intelligence) functions, also claimed ignorance. “I am not aware about any such report. I have not seen it,’’ he said. Additional DGP (Intelligence) Shivanand Jha did not respond to phone calls.