In an 1,800-page chargesheet filed before the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court on Tuesday,the Mumbai police has charged 21 alleged terrorists of the Indian Mujahideen (IM) group of being involved in the planning and execution of bomb blasts across the country,of forming an organised crime syndicate for terror-related activities,and of hacking into WiFi accounts to send emails claiming responsibility for the Ahmedabad and Delhi blasts and for Surat’s unexploded bombs.
Apart from the 21 arrested terrorists,the chargesheet has named six others as wanted accused. The accused wanted to create terror,mayhem and fear among people and stole vehicles later used in bomb blasts,says the chargesheet.
They were also involved in explosions in different cities since 2005,it adds.
While all the 27 accused have been charged under the Indian Penal Code for waging war against the nation,criminal conspiracy,deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs,statements creating or promoting enmity,hatred or ill-will between classes,criminal intimidation,as well as sections of the Arms Act,Explosives Act and Explosives Substances Act,various sections of the Information Technology and sections of the MCOCA,it details the role of each accused too.
They also worked for ICICI,Infosys,Yahoo. The Indian Express profiles the 21 accused:
1) Afzal Mutalib Usmani alias Afsar (32): All four cars used for planting improvised explosive devices at Ahmedabad and Surat were stolen by Usmani from Navi Mumbai with the help wanted accused Irfan and Amin under instructions from wanted accused Riyaz Bhatkal. He,along with Irfan and Amin,drove two cars to Surat and delivered them to Fazal-e-Rehman Mussadiqkhan Durani alias Sallahudin on July 10. Usmani and Amin also drove two other cars to Ahmedabad and handed them over to Kayamuddin Kapadia (arrested by the Ahmedabad police) and Atif (killed in the Batla House encounter) on July 16. Usmani’s arrest was the first breakthrough in the case.
2) Sadique Israr Ahmed Shaikh (33): A former SIMI member hailing from Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh and residing at Cheetah Camp in Mumbai,Sadiq was working for CMS Computers Limited at Andheri. He is a close associate of Riyaz Bhatkal. He is also closely associated with wanted accused Amir Raza (based in Pakistan) and was in constant touch with him. He underwent terrorist training in Pakistan on two occasions and recruited at least four IM members for terror training. He also facilitated their trips to Pakistan for the same. Sadiq also directed Mohd Zakir Abdul Haq Shaikh to go to Surat to assist Riyaz Bhatkal for planting the explosives,and instructed Mohd Arif Badruddin Shaikh to make 50 timers used in the Ahmedabad and Delhi blasts.
3) Mohammed Arif Badruddin Shaikh alias Arif Badar alias Laddan: A former SIMI member hailing from Azamgarh in UP,he underwent terrorist training in Pakistan. He used to run an electrical shop in Saraimir,Azamgarh,and was skilled in the manufacture of timer devices for detonating bombs. He made and supplied such devices to the IM,and these were used in detonating bombs in various cities of India. He had purchased clocks of the ‘Samay-Prince’ brand from a shop in Mumbai,converted them into timer devices in Ashoka Mews apartment in Pune and handed them over to Riyaz Bhatkal.
4) Mohammed Jakir Abdul Haq Shaikh (27): A scrap dealer residing at Bhiwandi in Thane,he was in constant touch with Arif Badruddin Shaikh. He had undergone terror training in Pakistan along with him. On directions from Sadiq,he traveled to Surat and assisted Riyaz Bhatkal and others in assembling bombs.
5) Ansar Ahmed Badshah Shaikh (35): Besides being a close associate of Sadiq,he had undergone terror training in Pakistan. He is trained in the use of computers and was working as desktop engineer at ICICI Bank’s Prabhadevi branch. He was in the know of the entire conspiracy,and provided the IM logistical support and ran errands and helped them whenever necessary.
6) Asif Bashir Shaikh (22): Arrested from Pune along with Mansoor Asgar Peerbhoy and Mubin alias Salman Kadar Shaikh,he was part of the IM’s ‘media cell’ which procured laptops and other accessories and sent out terror e-mails by hacking into unsecure WiFi connections. He assisted in preparing timer devices at Ashoka Mews,Pune. He also ferried digital timers and chips to Surat and assembled and armed bombs there.
7) Mohammed Mansoor Asgar Peerbhoy (31): Alleged to be the leader of the IM’s ‘media wing’,he received terror training at Bhatkal in Karnataka,the hometown of Riyaz and Iqbal Bhatkal. A highly qualified computer engineer,he was working for Yahoo in Pune. He also undertook specialised training in hacking from an expert in Hyderabad in May 2007. In September 2007,while on an official visit to the US,he purchased a spy camera and radio frequency signal detector for the use of the IM. He prepared the final drafts of all the e-mails sent out by the IM,and was given a list of news channels and government offices to which to send them to. Peerbhoy drove down to Mumbai from Pune with the other media cell members each Saturday in June 2008 and scouted locations for unsecured WiFi connections that were later used to send e-mails.
8) Mubin alias Salman Kadar Shaikh (24): He was also part of the IM’s media cell in Pune,and was instrumental in drafting and typing in the terror e-mails. He,too,traveled to Mumbai to scout for unsecured WiFi connections and later to send e-mails.
9) Mohammed Atiq Mohammed Iqbal alias Musab (25): Working as a test engineer for Infosys in Pune,introduced one of the arrested accused,Dastagir Mujawar,to the Bhatkal brothers,attended jehadi lectures and was present at a celebratory dinner party held by the IM members at Pune after the Ahmedabad blasts. His arrest also led to the seizure of 32 timers and the arrest of Mujawar.
10) Mohammed Akbar Ismail Chaudhari alias Saeed (26): He attended jehadi lectures at Bhatkal in Karnataka,and helped in recruiting operatives for the IM. Chaudhari traveled to Surat and Ahmedabad with explosives,prepared bombs in Surat with Asif Shaikh,Salauddin and Riyaz Bhatkal. He also attended the celebratory dinner at Pune. He also drove the media cell members from Pune to Mumbai in his brother’s Maruti Esteem car for scouting locations and sending e-mails. A bearer’s cheque of Rs.1 lakh meant for delivery to Asif Shaikh on orders from Riyaz Bhatkal was recovered from him.
11) Anik Shafiq Sayyad alias Khalid (27): He visited Bhatkal in Karnataka for jehadi lectures and received terror training there. Khalid accompanied Chaudhari to Surat and Ahmedabad with explosives,and prepared bombs in Surat with Asif Shaikh and Riyaz Bhatkal. He received specialised training from Dr Anwar Bagwan in administering sedatives and anesthetic drugs meant for kidnapping victims. The ransom amount so received was to be used for terror activities. Khalid prepared forged documents used by the IM members to procure mobile SIM cards. He also ran an institute called ‘Akmay Computer Institute’ in Pune used for training IM members in the use of computers and as a meeting point.
12) Majid Akhtar Shaikh alias Nazim (26): A resident of Pune,he was aware of the entire conspiracy and visited Bhatkal in Karnataka for jehadi lectures. He was a trusted aide of Khalid and other IM members,and helped them purchase mobile SIM cards and run errands for them. He was present at the celebratory dinner held in Pune.
13) Yasir Anis Sayyad alias Hujefa (20): Same as above.
14) Farooq Sharfuddin Tarqas alias Abdulla alias Peter (25): Same as above.
15) Mohammed Ahmed Ali (44): Hailing from Mangalore,he and his son harboured the Bhatkal brothers,Chaudhari and Khalid in their own house in Ullal village in Karnataka.
16) Javed Mohammed Ali (20): Son of Mohammed Ahmed Ali,he and his father harboured accused at their house in Karnataka.
17) Ahmed Abubakkar Bawa (33): Hailing from Bhatkal,he imparted terror training to other IM members. He ferried explosives from Bhatkal to Pune and then to Ahmedabad. He also participated in assembling the bombs planted in Surat,and attended the celebratory dinner held in Pune.
18) Mohammed Naushad Mohammed Irshad Sayyad (25): Hailing from Bhatkal,he took part in the terror training there. Acting on instructions from Riyaz Bhatkal,he took delivery of explosives in Udupi and provided funds to the accused who delivered them. He also carried digital timer chips from Bhatkal to Pune and then to Surat,and also assembled bombs.
19) Dustgir Feroz Muzawar alias Afroz alias Munjeeb (25): A native of Bhatkal,he imparted terror training to the IM members there. His arrest led to the seizure of jehadi material and 32 clock timers from his residence. He attended the celebratory dinner in Pune.
20) Fazal Rehman Musadikkhan Durani alias Sallauddin (23): Originally from Parbhani and residing in Pune,he traveled to Bharuch and Surat and hired premises for the use of the IM members on orders from Riyaz Bhatkal. He received delivery of the motor cars used in the Ahmedabad and Surat blasts and ferried explosives from Bharuch to Ahmedabad and Surat. He also planted bombs and explosive laden cars in Surat.
21) Dr Anwar Abdulgani Bagwan (25): An MBBS doctor from B J Medical College in Pune,he was employed with Primary Health Centre in Jogwadi,Pune. Using the IM funds,he hired flats at Ashoka Mews and Kamaldeep Apartments in Pune as bases for the IM members. He procured sedatives and anesthetics from the pharmacy of KEM Hospital in Pune and the heath centre he worked in. The same were used for training IM members in kidnapping for seeking ransom to fund terror activities. He had received terror training in Bhatkal.