scorecardresearch
Sunday, Jan 29, 2023
Advertisement
Premium

Illegal migration from Bangladesh still of serious concern: Assam CM Tarun Gogoi

Gogoi also claimed credit for bringing to the mainstream several militant groups under the Unified Command Structure.

The process of updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC), intended at helping solve the vexed issue of illegal migration from Bangladesh to Assam, will be completed in the current year, Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi said on Monday.

Hoisting the national flag chief minister Gogoi also said that the issue of illegal migration has been a matter of serious concern in Assam for long, and updating the NRC was one tep towards a permanent solution. “We are committed to detect and deport foreigners under provisions of the Assam Accord, but there are certain difficulties too. Our government is committed to the imperative of preventing illegal infiltration from across the international borders and various measurs have been taken in this regard,” he said.

Describing updation of the NRC as one step towards bringing about a permanent solution to the Bangladesi influx issue, Gogoi said preparatory works for NRC updation had already started under guidance of the central government. Several steps have been also taken to prevent further influx across the border, he said.

“The procedure devised for updation envisages use of latest information technology and aims at nsuring that no names of foreign nationals find place in the NRC. The NRC will be published in January 2016,” Gogoi added.

Subscriber Only Stories
At the end of the Bharat Jodo Yatra
Why BharOS has Indian developers excited and sceptical: ‘More choice is g...
UPSC Essentials | Weekly news express with MCQs: Republic Day, India-Egyp...
As India prepares for centralised power market shift, EU moves a differen...

On other steps taken by his government, Gogoi said that the Foreigners’ Tribunals have been strengthened for detection and deportation of illegal migrants. There were currently tree temporary detention centres at Kokrajhar, Goalpara and Silchar for accommodating persons declared as foreigners till their deportation, the chief minister said.

Regarding the recent terror attacks by the NDFB(S) on Adivasi settlers in Sonitpur and Kokrajhar districts which left over 80 dead and thousands displaced, the chief minister said normalcy had returned due to effective handling of the situation by the government.

“The transgressors, the perpetrators of such crimes, including ones responsible for the recent carnage, shall be brought to book. Security forces currently engaged in massive operations against these anti-nationals have gained major successes. We shall continue to use all or resources to deal firmly with these subversive elements,” he said.

Advertisement

Gogoi also claimed credit for bringing to the mainstream several militant groups through the strategy adopted by his government in the past 14 years under the Unified Command Structure. “The success has been reflected in suspension of operations (SoO) agreements with as many as 17 extremist outfits, out of which four have signed memorandum of settlement (MoS) with the government,” he added.

First published on: 26-01-2015 at 15:57 IST
Next Story

Republic Day peaceful across country, but two minor blasts reported in Assam

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close