The HRD Ministry has issued a showcause notice to Vice-Chancellor of Visva Bharati University, Sushanta Dattagupta, asking him why he should not be removed from the post for alleged financial and administrative irregularities, as found by a three-member panel set up by the ministry.
Dattagupta has been given 21 days to explain his position. The showcause notice was issued after the Ministry received the approval of President Pranab Mukherjee, Visitor of all Central universities including Visva Bharati, to do so. The President can invoke Section 16 of General Clause Act to remove a Vice-Chancellor.
- Visva Bharati V-C: Govt asked President to withdraw assent after he ignored its name, RTI reveals
- Visva Bharati University: Panel to search V-C junked in light of ‘new facts’
- Visva-Bharati row: Appointment of V-C to be finalised soon, says HRD Ministry
- Several complaints later, HRD Ministry moves to sack Pondicherry varsity V-C
- In fact: Why Visva-Bharati V-C was sacked, what dismissal means
- Visva-Bharati: In report to President, HRD lays ground for V-C sacking
The three-member panel set was up in February to look into allegations against Dattagupta.
Dattagupta has been accused of making several illegal appointments, including the appointment of the Controller of Examinations, despite having no powers to do so and sanctioning key posts in violation of the Visva-Bharati Act. He was also accused of drawing salary from Visva-Bharati and pension from Jawaharlal Nehru University.