The families of the two assistant professors from Hyderabad who have been abducted in Libya spent another harrowing day on Saturday, swinging between hope and despair as they waited for news about them.
T Gopikrishna and K Balram were among the four abducted, allegedly by a group owing allegiance to the Islamic State, on Wednesday.
The other two, Lakshmikant Ramakrishna and M Vijay Kumar, were released on Friday.
- Indian professors return home after year long IS captivity in Lybia
- Indian teachers abducted in Libya, rescued: ‘Call lasted a few seconds, it was a rebirth for us’
- Libya hostages: Release delayed as captors seek to verify identity of Indian teachers
- We were treated with respect: Karnataka teacher released by ISIS
- Libya Conflict: Abducted Indians alive, 2 to head back today
- Libya: Four Indian teachers ‘held’ in IS zone, 2 freed, families wait
“Two of them were released, but Gopikrishna and Balram have not been released. Do you think they are safe,’’ asked Gopikrishna’s relative, Ishwar Rao.
Gopikrishna’s relatives said his wife, Kalyani, has not eaten since she heard the news on Thursday afternoon.
“It is very difficult to keep reassuring her and the children. They keep asking if there is any news,’’ said Gopikrishna’s brother, Murlikrishna.
Relatives claimed that Vijay Kumar had sent a text message stating that all of them were safe.
“After that text message, there was no further contact. The cellphones of all the four persons are switched off. If they released two of them, why have they not released my husband, Balram, and his friend Gopikrishna? I am unable to understand that… I hope my husband comes home soon,’’ said Sridevi, Balram’s wife.
Gopikrishna’s family spoke to TDP MP from Srikakulam K Rammohan Naidu, and urged him to request Union Ministers Sushma Swaraj and Rajnath Singh to step up efforts to get the duo released.
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh minister P Raghunath Reddy said he was in constant touch with the Ministry of External Affairs officials.
“Every effort is being made to bring all the four nationals, including the two who have been released, home safely,’’ said Reddy.