scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Gujarat govt says will continue probe against Sharma after his retirement

Govt will continue to probe him for the call detail records he collected during the post-Godhra riots cases.

Written by Satish Jha | Ahmedabad | Published: February 28, 2015 2:42:33 am
Rahul Sharma, Gujarat government, Gujarat police, Naroda Patiya, 2002 Godhra riot cases, Godhra riot cases, Gulberg Society massacre cases, IPS officer Rahul Sharma, Gujarat news, india news, nation news Rahul Sharma, Gujarat government, Gujarat police, Naroda Patiya, 2002 Godhra riot cases, Godhra riot cases, Gulberg Society massacre cases, IPS officer Rahul Sharma, Gujarat news, india news, nation news

The Gujarat government will continue to probe IPS officer Rahul Sharma for the call detail records he collected during the riots as part of the evidence when assisting Ahmedabad police in the investigations into the post-Godhra Naroda Patiya and Naroda Gam massacre cases, even after his retirement Saturday.

The government cleared Sharma’s request for premature retirement three months after his request for the same.

Sharma, when assisting the Ahmedabad city police in the investigations into the Naroda Patiya and Naroda Gam cases, had collected Call Detail Records (CDR) from two private service providers as part of the evidence. The enquiry will focus on Sharma not handing over the riot CDs to the government.

The CDs became public when Sharma placed them CDs before the Nanavati Commission in 2004 as evidence and later before the UC Banerjee Commission. But, the state chargesheeted him on grounds that he should have submitted the CDs either in a court or before the investigating officer.

Sharma, who was sidelined by the government soon after this, sought voluntary retirement in November last year, requesting in his letter that he be “peacefully” retired.

The government notification that accepted his request, states Sharma did not hand over the CD but instead “had illegally carried it with him” even after his transfer.

The retirement notice for Sharma, a DIG, is effective “from afternoon of 28/2/2015…” — the date he had picked to quit.

The notification, a copy of which is with this paper, states that the chargesheet against Sharma dated August 2011 will continue in accordance with provision of rule 6 of AIS (DCRB), Rules, 1958. The notification doesn’t mention about the other chargesheets and departmental proceedings against Sharma.

Reacting to the decision, Sharma told The Indian Express “the government’s order is acceptable.”

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement