Sixteen people were injured in a grenade attack by militants near Batpora chowk in South Kashmir’s Shopian district on Saturday afternoon. The injured were rushed to the district hospital. All of them are reportedly stable.
The grenade attack took place at 2.40 pm, said Shopian Superintendent of Police (SP) Altaf Khan.
- J-K: Army man killed in Kupwara; minor dead in Shopian blast
- J&K: 3 Armymen injured in grenade attack in Shopian; one militant killed in Kupwara
- Centre ends Ramzan ceasefire in J-K: A look at how militants defied govt’s initiative for peace with violence
- J&K: Four policemen, 12 civilians injured in grenade explosion in Shopian
- Srinagar: Four CRPF personnel, two civilians hurt in multiple grenade attacks
- Jammu and Kashmir: Grenade hurled at PDP MLA Mushtaq Shah’s house, no injuries reported
The target of the militants’ attack was a police party, but the grenade missed its intended target and exploded on the main road, injuring 16 people, said police. “We have launched a search operation to nab the attackers,” one of them said.
A woman and a minor girl sustained major injuries in the blast. “The girl has been shifted to Srinagar for further treatment,” said the official.