December 22, 2014 2:52:54 am
Four children of a family were found dead while three were found unconscious inside a house at Khazi Sari locality in Bijnore’s Nagina area Sunday morning. All seven members of the family, including five children, were sleeping in the same room.
Police ruled out any foul play and suspect that the death occurred due to suffocation, as the victims were sleeping with an angithi (traditional brazier) inside their room. The incident occurred at the rented accommodation of rickshawpuller Mohammad Abbas.
Early Sunday morning, a neighbour knocked on Abbas’ door but got no response. The neighbour then informed others, who broke open the door to find Abbas, his wife Shahina and their five children lying unconscious on the bed.
Police were informed and victims were rushed to hospital where doctors declared the four children dead on arrival. Abbas, Shahina and their eldest child Mohammad Sadiq (14) were admitted to the district hospital, and their condition is stated to be stable.
Acting SHO of Nagina police station, Ganga Saran, said: “Post-mortem have been conducted and we are waiting for the report. So far, we have not found any clue that indicates that the family had taken poison.”
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines