Thursday, Jan 26, 2023

Five sent to 20 years in jail

The gangrape in October last year and victim’s self-immolation on Dec 31 had triggered an outrage in West Bengal.

Just over 11 months after they gangraped a 16-year-old girl twice, the second time when she was coming back from a police station after filing a complaint about the first incident, a Barasat district court Friday sentenced five of the six accused to 20 years rigorous imprisonment.

One accused, who had turned approver in the case, was acquitted by Second Additional Judicial Magistrate Santanu Jha.
The victim had allegedly committed suicide at her village in Madhyamgram.

The gangrape in October last year and the victim’s self-immolation on December 31 had triggered an outrage in West Bengal.
The North 24-Parganas court had Thursday held the five accused — Sanjib Talukdar alias Chottu, Palaash Debnath, Papai Roy, Rajesh Mondal and Rajib Biswas — guilty under Sections 363 (kidnapping), 376(2)(g) (gangrape) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and the quantum of punishment was pronounced Friday.

The five were also fined Rs 5,000 each and in case of default, would have to undergo an additional year in jail.

Subscriber Only Stories
What Google’s changes in Android mean to Indian users
How the Constitutions of India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh were drafted
Delhi Confidential: Celebs come together to help EC encourage electors to...
As MP’s Badnagar tehsil battled pandemic, local bus stand converted into ...

The victim, the daughter of a taxi driver from Bihar, had been kidnapped and gangraped by the five at Madhyamgram in North 24-Parganas district on October 25. She was again gangraped by them while returning from the police station after lodging a complaint. She was also threatened by the culprits, who told her to withdraw the complaint or face a similar consequence again.

Her family thereafter changed their residence from Madhyamgram to a rented room at Dum Dum near Kolkata. Even though six people were arrested in connection with the incidents, the victim’s family members alleged that a close associate of gang leader Chottu had visited their Dum Dum residence on December 23 and threatened them with dire consequences if the girl did not withdraw her complaint.

The same day, she was found with 65 per cent burn injuries and died on December 31. While the police had said she had self-immolated, her family members had lodged a murder complaint, which is still under investigation.

First published on: 20-09-2014 at 01:49 IST
Next Story

Panna tigress dies in a collar

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments