A selection of five exclusive Indian Express stories you must read before starting your day:
1. CM IN TROUBLE: A businessman who gave loans to Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and his wife allegedly in return for favours to his firm also gave Rs 1.99 crore as interest-free,unsecured loans to a company owned by the son and daughter of the Congress CM.
2. GREEN SIGNAL: Environment Minister Veerappa Moily and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar are learnt to have agreed that a joint affidavit should be filed in the Supreme Court,asking that field trials of genetically modified (GM) crops be allowed,albeit with “stringent conditions”.
Jayanthi Natarajan line reversed,Moily and Pawar will ask SC to allow GM trials,report by Anubhuti Vishnoi and Ravish Tiwari
3. DIPLOMATIC FALLOUT: In a possible fallout of the diplomatic spat triggered by the arrest of IFS officer Devyani Khobrgade in New York,the United States has delayed the first India visit of its new Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia.
Pranab Dhal Samanta tells why Wary US delays first India visit of new Asst Secy of State
4. ROARING IN PANNA: From zero tigers in early 2009,the Panna Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh now faces a problem of plenty. The number of tigers at the reserve was 23 at last count,including the five that were initially shifted from other reserves.
Milind Ghatwai brings some Good news from Panna in new year: tiger count up from zero to 23
5. REMEMBERING AN ICON: Farooq Sheikh relished being able to step into the circus ring that is Bollywood,play his part and then take his seat and watch the show.
Swara Bhaskar pays her tribute to Farooq Sheikh: A player and an observer