Even as the weekend has arrived, we recommend you go through these five Express stories before starting your Saturday:
1. HER JOURNEY: Two days into an angry Twitter war, Sunanda Pushkar was found dead in her room in the Leela Palace hotel in Delhi. Her death followed a series of accusations, counter accusations and clarifications, all played out in the public glare.
A look at the journey of Sunanda Pushkar: Sales manager in Dubai to member of Delhi’s power club
2. AAP HOOLIGANISM? A day after four Ugandan women were forced to undergo a medical examination at AIIMS for suspected drug use, the women lodged separate complaints with the police against unnamed AAP volunteers, alleging they were abused, groped and beaten while being held captive.
Ananya Bhardwaj, Pritha Chatterjee report: We were groped, beaten by AAP men: Four Ugandan women go to police
3. POLITICS OF CLEAN CHIT: With Congress president Sonia Gandhi projecting this Lok Sabha elections as a contest against “communal forces”, the BJP national executive on Friday approved its political resolution that sought to dispel such allegations by highlighting the Ahmedabad court’s clean chit to their prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in the 2002 Gujarat riots cases.
Ravish Tiwari tells us that BJP to flaunt clean chit to Modi to counter Sonia
4. BRAVERY: Without knowing how to swim, and braving the floating debris coming her way, she found her brother and dragged him to safety.
9-year-old Delhi girl saves brother at Kedarnath, gets bravery award, report by Shikha Sharma
5. NATIONAL INTEREST: Every major political party in India claims to be both secular and socialist. The fight, in each case, is only over who is more socialist or secular than the other. This leads to an ideological mish-mash that makes our electoral politics more personalised and feudal.
Shekhar Gupta talks about Indian polity in Left, Right or Standstill
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines