Two more persons died of encephalitis in West Bengal since yesterday, taking the toll to 111 as six more were admitted to hospital with suspected infection.
“Two persons have died of encephalitis since yesterday, while six new admissions have been made with suspected infection,” West Bengal Health Services director Biswaranjan Satpathy, who is camping in north Bengal, said.
“As of now, 35 persons are admitted to the North Bengal Medical College (NBMC) with the disease,” Satpathy said. He said that provisions had been kept at the sub-divisional and block level hospitals in north Bengal to deal with the situation.
“Fever clinics have been opened in several sub-divisional and block-level hospitals, but no admission has been reported from these so far,” he said. Municipalities and other local bodies in the seven affected districts of north Bengal have taken up a huge cleanliness drive and undertaken fogging activities regularly to control the disease.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had on Friday suspended three senior health department officials in north Bengal for not providing information on the situation at the right time.