Dimapur lynching: Student says was ‘lured’ by friend, taken to Syed Sharif Khan

Nagaland IGP Wabang Jamir said her medical examination did not indicate rape.

Written by Samudra Gupta Kashyap | Dimapur | Updated: March 8, 2015 2:49:57 am
dimapur riot over, dimapur peace returns, dimapur normal, Dimapur lynching, Dimapur, Dimapur rape, Dimapur SP Meren Jamir, Dimapur rape accused, Dimapur Central Jail, Nagaland, India latest news Members of a mob pull a man, centre with blooded face, accused of rape, out of the Central Jail where he was held in Dimapur. (Source: AP)

The college student who alleged rape by the man who was later dragged out of Dimapur Central Jail and lynched says she was “lured” and handed over to the person by a friend. This friend too is under arrest.

Speaking to The Sunday Express from a relative’s home here, she said she knew Syed Sharif Khan as he was a neighbour and his wife belonged to the same village as her. “I did not think he was a bad man until my friend disappeared after handing me over to him,” she alleged.

Nagaland IGP Wabang Jamir said her medical examination did not indicate rape. “The report however said she had scratch marks on her thumb and some minor injuries on her body.”

Share This Article
Related Article

The report has been sent to a forensic science laboratory outside the state for further examination.

The girl has a room on rent in the same compound where Sharif lived along with his wife, brother and a daughter. Sharif’s wife is a Naga.

“On February 23 evening, Nikavi, who is from my village and who was in Dimapur for some business, invited me to eat with him at a restaurant. He said he was all alone. However, after I got into his car, I realised Khan was in the backseat. I wanted to get off but my friend told me not to worry,” the girl said.

She claims that on reaching a supermarket, they got off to get some drinks. “My friend then got out of the car on the pretext of meeting a friend. Khan suddenly moved to the front seat and drove off with me. He snatched my mobile and drove to the stadium and then to the Fourth Mile locality, where he raped me threatening to kill me,” the alleged victim said.

She claims Khan also made her drink beer despite her protests. “I wanted to jump out of the car, but it was in full speed. He also beat me. He stopped the car and raped me, and then he took me to a hotel.

I was already intoxicated, in fear and in a subconscious state. He repeatedly told me he would kill me. He raped me twice in the hotel, and later dropped me home. It was around 2:30 am by then. The next morning I went to the police station and lodged an FIR,” she said.

The girl claims Sharif offered her Rs 5,000 forcibly. “I handed over the money to the police.” Police had booked Sharif under Sections 376, 344 and 361 of the IPC, and have also arrested Nikavi.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App