Six years after they lost their 25-year-old son in a freak electrocution accident, an elderly couple in suburban town of Chandannagar, Hooghly, found a way to deal with the depression and the loneliness — suicide by electrocution.
Neighbours of Surya Mukherjee (64) and his wife Tapasi (57) broke open the couple’s house door in the morning and found the two lying dead on the floor, their legs tied with electrical wires. In a suicide note, the police said, the two have narrated their suffering they felt since the untimely death of their son, Sourav Mukherjee, in 2009, and why they chose to die in the way they did.
The accidental death of Sourav, an electrical engineer working in Delhi, sent the couple into a state of recluse from which they could never come out. Around two years ago, Surya, a retired employee of Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation, and his wife attempted to put behind their son’s death when they donated a portion of their house for a charitable health clinic. Later, unable to involve himself with the workings of the clinic, Surya opted for an early retirement, and the couple donated their entire life’s savings —Rs 30 lakh — to a school.
On Saturday, the depression turned out to be overbearing when the two tied their feet with the electrical wires and put an end to the grief that had struck the family six years ago.