The Delhi High Court on Friday granted police protection to the whistle blower who is said to have unearthed the “original evidence”in the Vyapam admission and recruitment scandal. This evidence, the Congress had said, allegedly exposes attempts to shield the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister’s links to the scam.
The court ordered Delhi Police to provide adequate protection after undertaking a “threat assessment” following a plea from the whistle blower, who identified himself only as an “external consultant” in the Special Task Force created to investigate the scam.
The court’s order labelled him as a “computer expert (Digital Forensic Engineer) by profession”.
In the plea, the whistleblower claimed that he had become privy to “very sensitive information” while investigating the scam, and that he was “under threat of life and limb” from “highly placed individuals and police authorities within the state of Madhya Pradesh.”
The petitioner also claimed that he had been “illegally detained” and threatened by Madhya Pradesh police, and alleged that false FIRs had been lodged against him in Bhopal. He said that he recently shifted to Delhi to escape the threats in Bhopal.
Senior advocates Kapil Sibal and Vivek Tankha, who appeared before the court of Justice Siddharth Mridul, also told the court that the petition had been filed after the whistleblower had received “threatening” calls.
“(The) petitioner has very sensitive information regarding involvement of CM and his family in Vyapam scam and after the recent expose by Congress, the State machinery has swung into action to trace the petitioner,” said the plea, which was filed through advocate Badar Mahmood.
Chouhan had dismissed the charges on Monday, saying the “Congress allegations are baseless”.
The court, meanwhile, directed that Madhya Pradesh government officials, police or the Special Task Force, “shall not remove” the petitioner from Delhi without “due procedure of law”. It also ordered that the whistleblower and his advocate would have to be informed in advance if he has to be taken out of Delhi.
The whistleblower also told the court that the original Excel spreadsheets and other documents relating to the investigation, which were in his possession, would be submitted to the High Court for “safe custody.”
It was on the basis of the “original evidence” provided by the whistleblower that Congress leaders held a press conference in Bhopal on Monday alleging the involvement of the Chief Minister in the scam.
Digvijaya Singh, Kamal Nath and Jyotiraditya Scindia had alleged that at 48 slots in the Excel sheet, the word “CM” was allegedly replaced with “UmaBhartiji” in seven, “Minister” in 21, and with “M/s” and “Rajbhawan” in one each —- in 18 slots, they added, the word was deleted altogether.