A sessions court judge sentenced a middle-aged man to 10 years rigorous imprisonment and a Rs 5000 fine for raping an eight-year-old neighbor.
Paul Zadinga, 50, was found guilty of the crime on March 10. His sentence was handed down by Sessions Court judge Vanlalenmawia on Friday in Mizoram capital Aizawl.
- Seven months, 12 death sentences in Madhya Pradesh: Here is what a trial under its new rape law for minors entails
- Nagaon gangrape, murder case: 19-year-old convict sentenced to death
- Death penalty sought for man convicted in minor girl rape case
- First in Rajasthan under new law In 73 days, youth gets death penalty for raping infant
- Rajasthan: 19-year-old gets death sentence for raping infant in Alwar
- Man gets 10 years in jail for raping minor
Aizawl resident Zadinga has been accused of raping an eight-year-old girl between November 21 and 23, 2012. He was arrested after local women leaders filed an FIR on the victims’ behalf on December 9.
Zadinga had earlier been accused of molesting at least two other girls — one of them also an eight-year-old, and the other 11 — but no formal charges had been leveled against him although the local women’s body had come to hear of it and summoned him over the incidents.
In the third case, which was reported to police, a medical examination indicated rape had taken place and Zadinga was booked and charged with raping a minor.