A prosecution witness in a case involving three bombings in Mumbai has recently told a special court that the police had forced him to drink the urine of another accused and have “sex with a stray dog” when he was in custody 12 years ago.
The witness’s statement reads, “I was made to drink gutter water and urine… It is correct that I was asked to drink urine of another accused and my urine (was given) to him.” The witness further alleged that they were forced to have sex with a stray dog and that he was regularly beaten up in the police custody from April 24, 2003, till he was released on May 17, 2003.
- Sohrabuddin case: Rajasthan police officer declared hostile
- Sohrabuddin and Prajapati ‘Fake’ encounter cases: Threatened by CBI into giving false statement, claims officer
- Dalit man forced to drink urine in UP: ‘They dragged him, kept saying whose backing do they have, govt is ours’
- UP: Dalit man says he was beaten, made to drink urine; 4 held
- Mecca Masjid blast: NIA prosecutor N Harinath has ABVP link
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI pressured me to lie in 2011, says witness
The police have chargesheeted 16 people in the case, which involves bombings at Mumbai Central station on December 6, 2002, at suburban Vile Parle on January 27, 2003, and the Mulund train blast on March 13, 2003. The witness, in his alleged statement, had revealed the role of one Saquib Nachan, an accused and alleged SIMI member, in carrying the explosives. On April 23, the witness, when asked by the defence lawyer about the alleged torture meted out to him, told the court:”I cannot tell those dirty things which they asked me to do in the crime branch office as women advocates are present (here) in the court.”
After the witness’s deposition, the special public prosecutor Rohini Salian declared him hostile. The prosecution witness, the 126th in the case, corroborated the torture claims made by another accused in 2003. The accused, who was named by the witness, in a written statement to the court in 2003 had claimed that three crime branch officers tortured him — an allegation denied by police.