Cops fail to detect source of gun that killed Meham boy

The reason: The accused are minors and cannot be interrogated in custody.

Written by Varinder Bhatia | Chandigarh | Updated: April 15, 2014 5:45:46 pm

Though a day has passed since a 15-year-old youth was allegedly shot dead by four of his classmates during a jagran at Meham in Haryana’s Rohtak district,the police are yet to find the source from whom one of the accused had procured the gun used in the murder. The reason: The accused are minors and cannot be interrogated in custody.

Sunday’s incident had led to a communal clash in the area with the relatives of the deceased,Nitin,torching the house of one of the accused and damaging one police and two public vehicles.

While Nitin,was a Punjabi,three out of the four accused are Jats. Nitin reportedly died while trying to save his friend Ankur,who was attacked by another group living in the same area. Three of the four accused were later arrested.

Since custodial interrogation by way of police remand is not allowed for a juvenile,the accused were produced in the court and sent to a borstal jail.

During his preliminary interrogation,the prime accused not only protected the source but also took the investigating officials for a ride. Investigating officer in the case,Sub-Inspector Jagbir Singh,said: “We could have done nothing much to investigate the source of weapon. During a brief questioning of the accused,he initially told us that the weapon belongs to one someone he known. But when we verified his version,we found the said person was dead.”

“Then the accused told us that he procured the weapon from a person in a village in Hisar. Our teams went to Hisar but found no such person. The address given by the accused was also a fake one. We had to produce him in the court,from where he was sent to Borstal jail,” he added.

The prime accused had just appeared for his Class X exams and belongs to an affluent family in Rohtak. His father,a school principal in Faridabad,had recently retired. The family initially used to live in Faridabad,from where they had migrated to Rohtak a few months ago.

Meanwhile,Nitin’s parents on Monday gave a written undertaking to the Rohtak district police stating they had nor attacked the accused family members on Sunday.

“The deceased’s family members have given us in writing that in future also,if anybody resorts to violence in the name of their dead son or any market is forcibly shut or law and order is breached,they will not be associated with it. The family has also expressed their complete satisfaction with the investigation conducted so far,” Jagbir Singh added.

He added: “While three accused have been arrested and the weapon used in the crime recovered,efforts are on to arrest the fourth accused. All four belong to good families. Besides the prime accused,while one of the accused’s father works in a MNC in Faridabad,another’s father runs a jewellery shop. The third accused’s father works in a sugar mill.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement