Not a single Bru turned up for the verification process on Thursday, the third day of the ongoing last and final repatriation process for the community, a senior official said.
Mamit Deputy Commissioner Vanlalngaihsaka said over the phone there has been “nil” verification because the inmates of the Kaskau relief camp in North Tripura did not turn up at the counters set up by the government over the past three days.
Meanwhile, the inmates at Kaskau submitted a memorandum to the government demanding that they would not return to Mizoram unless their demands — resettlement in the same villages where they once lived in Mizoram and enhanced compensation packages —are fulfilled. They also complained that the timing of the repatriation is not conducive for their farming season.
- Explained: Why Mizoram wants CEO out
- Tripura: Govt doles cut off, Bru refugees stare at uncertain future
- Bru repatriation off to slow start: three families return in four days
- Bru repatriation: Officials leave for largest relief camp in spite of zero success in previous four camps
- Bru repatriation: No one turns up as verification process wraps up in Asapara
- Mizoram govt: Process to bring back Bru tribals will go on
The officials deputed for the verification process are next scheduled to move towards Khakchangpara relief camp, but authorities do not hope that the results will be any different there or in the four other camps thereafter.
If anyone is willing to return to Mizoram, then after the verification process the government will provide them transportation to return from Tripura, resettle them in selected villages where they will be allotted land and will offer compensation packages.
Tens of thousands of Bru tribals fled Mizoram in 1997 following ethnic violence between them and the majority Mizos. They made their way to Tripura where the neighbouring state put them in designated relief camps and where they had been lodged since then. Six phases of the repatriation process has been organised since 2010 but these have met with limited success.