In fast paced development, Bihar Assembly Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary on Sunday recognised Nitish Kumar as the new leader of JD(U) Legislature Party and Jitan Ram Manjhi as a former head.
A letter issued by secretary in-charge of Bihar Assembly Hareram Mukhiya said Chaudhary has recognised Kumar as new leader of JD(U)LP of the House, highly placed sources in Assembly secretariat said.
- JDU says Nitish Kumar supreme, no seat talks yet, alliance to stay
- JD(U) on Congress support to Nitish demand: Big parties promise special status only while out of power
- NDA would suffer in Bihar if Lok Sabha polls not fought under Nitish’s leadership: JD(U) leader
- Nitish Kumar will be elder brother in Bihar NDA, says JDU
- Bihar Speaker justifies election of Nitish Kumar as JD(U) Legislature Party leader
- Bihar crisis: Jitan Manjhi refuses to resign, accuses Nitish Kumar of being hungry for power
A letter to this effect has been sent to the Raj Bhawan, the Chief Minister’s office and the Nitish Kumar’s office, the sources said.
An official of Nitish Kumar’s office confirmed receiving a letter from the Assembly secretary to this effect.
The Speaker’s recognition of Kumar came in response to a letter from Bihar JD(U) president Basistha Narayan Singh who had apprised him about Kumar’s election as leader of the House by 97 out of a total of 111 JD(U) MLAs and 37 out of 41 MLCs.
The sources said after the recognition of Kumar as new leader of JD(U) in the Assembly, Manjhi has become a former leader of JD(U)LP.
RJD which has 24 MLAs, Congress 5, CPI 1 and an Independent have submitted letters of support in favour of Kumar to Raj Bhawan.
Kumar will meet Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi on Monday to formally stake his claim to form the government.