Uttar Pradesh government on Friday recommended a CBI probe into the murder of Akhil Kumar Gupta, a key witness in a rape case against self-proclaimed godman Asaram Bapu. Gupta (38), who worked as a cook and personal aide of Asaram, was shot dead in Muzaffarnagar on January 11. “A CBI probe has been recommended to facilitate investigation into the murder of witness Akhil Gupta,” said Debashis Panda, principal secretary (Home) in Lucknow.
- Asaram Bapu rape verdict: Other cases against the godman
- One witness in Asaram case untraceable, another shot dead
- Asaram Bapu rape case verdict: Timeline of events upto his conviction by Jodhpur court
- Asaram Bapu found guilty of rape: What next for self-styled godman?
- Asaram Bapu rape case verdict on April 25: Violence, witness killings; all that happened in last 5 years
- What is Asaram Bapu case?
Muzaffarnagar resident Gupta was questioned by Gujarat Police in 2013 in connection with the alleged rape of two sisters in Surat, and had given a statement against Asaram. Both Asaram and his son have been booked in the case. Gupta was the second witness to be killed after Amrut Prajapati who was shot dead in June 2014. Another witness Kripal Singh was killed earlier this month. Gupta’s wife Varsha, also a witness in the case, had written to the state government requesting for CBI probe.