May 14, 2015 10:25:00 pm
All the 39 Indians held hostage in Iraq by ISIS militants for nearly a year are “alive”, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj told the families of the victims today.
Swaraj, who met the families for the seventh time since the abduction of the Indians in June last year from Mosul, reassured the families about the well-being of the nationals on the basis of information received from various sources.
The government was making all sincere efforts for the safe and early release of the Indian workers, she told them.
Best of Express Premium
“Earlier we had six sources we told us that the Indians are alive. Now we have two more sources to corroborate the same. Out of these two, one is so solidly reliable that there is no question of not believing. They have very clearly said that all the 39 Indian are alive,” Swaraj said after meeting the families of the hostages.
The ministry said Swaraj had earlier personally spoken to her counterpart Foreign Ministers in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) as well as other friendly countries in the region for their assistance in the safe release of Indians in captivity.
The minister also assured them that as soon as some concrete proof on the well-being of the workers is received by the government, it would be shared with the families.
Minister of Food Processing Harsimrat Kaur Badal was also present during the meeting.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.