AIADMK on Saturday said that it has disbursed over Rs 7 crore as relief to families of 244 persons who died allegedly by committing suicide following Jayaalithaa’s conviction in a graft case by a lower court last year.
The AIADMK supremo was subsequently acquitted by the Karnataka High Court on May 11.
- A timeline: From Jayalalitha’s death to Madras HC upholding disqualification of 18 AIADMK rebel MLAs
- 90 percent AIADMK workers support us, rest have ‘selfish motives’: AMMK leader TTV Dhinakaran
- DMK will not take part in MGR centenary event, says Stalin
- Jayalalithaa death shock killed over 70, claims AIADMK; intelligence puts number at 30
- From films to life, Tamil Nadu’s cult of the mother
- TN deaths: Jaya offers Rs 6.7 cr as relief to kin of sympathisers
“So far, Rs 7.32 crore has been given away to families of 244 persons who committed suicide and Rs two lakh to four persons towards medical treatment,” said a party release. Overall, the party has disbursed Rs 7.34 crore, it added.
Party supremo J Jayalalithaa had announced a relief of Rs three lakh each to the families of the victims, while appealing to supporters not to resort to extreme steps in the wake of her sentence.
She had been sentenced in the Rs 66.66 crore disproportionate assets case by a Bengaluru court in September last.