A day before the nation celebrates Children’s Day, a 12-year-old boy in Nabrangpur district lost his left arm while working in a maize processing factory.
Debi Singh Gouda, a Std VI student of Pujariguda upper primary school in Kasagumuda block of Nabarangpur, had skipped school to work at a maize processing mill in his village Nandpani for a wage of Rs 50. A day before Children’s Day, Orissa boy loses left arm while working in maize factory.
While deseeding corn, the boy’s left hand was sucked inside the machine leaving him seriously injured. He was first rushed to the district headquarters hospital at Nabarangpur and then shifted to the district headquarters hospital at Koraput. Though doctors could save his life, they had to amputate his arm. “It was too mutilated. We had no other option. But he is out of danger now,” said a doctor in Koraput.
Labour minister Prafulla Mallick said a three-member team, headed by sub-collector Parikshit Sethi, has been asked to file a report on the incident. The team on Thursday visited the school and held discussions with the boy’s family members. The district administration also lodged an FIR against the mill owner Lalan Mehta. Mallick assured that strict action would be taken against the guilty.
The district administration gave an ex-gratia of Rs 10,000 from the district Red Cross fund and Rs 5,000 from the chief minister’s relief fund to the family members of the boy.
Officials in Nabrangpur said the boy lost his father while he was a toddler. He has an elder brother and a mother. His brother and mother work as coolies, while Gouda often worked at the maize processing mill to supplement his family income.
Former Nabarangpur Congress MP Pradip Majhi demanded that the government should bear all the expenses for treatment of the boy and
immediately release Rs 5 lakh as assistance to the child’s family. He also demanded inclusion of the boy’s family under the various welfare schemes of the government and allot them a house.
In June this year, a 16-year-old boy’s right hand had to be amputated when it came in contact with a live electric wire while working as a labourer in Pradhan Mantri Grama Sadak Yojana. Yakub of MV-31 village under Kurukunda block of Malkangri district was working under a contractor in Pradhan Mantri Grama Sadak Yojana when a six-feet long aluminium rod that he was holding came in contact with the live electric wire. Yakub was first admitted to a private hospital in Vishakhpatnam by the contractor. The boy who studied in a school, worked in the road construction project during summer vacation to buy a pair of uniform.