8 killed in Bhiwandi fire accident at timber mart

Eight dead bodies were taken to Indira Gandhi Memorial (IGM) hospital immediately after the fire was doused.

By: Express News Service | Thane | Updated: December 27, 2014 3:19:51 pm

A fire broke out in a wood-godown at Bhiwandi early Saturday morning, gutting the godown and charring eight people to death along with injuring three others. Those burned alive are thought to be workers in their early twenties who were residing inside the godown, fire officials said.

“Fire broke out at Mad I compound, Dapota road near Bhiwandi,” said DN Salvi, chief fire officer, Bhiwandi.

Eight dead bodies were taken to Indira Gandhi Memorial (IGM) hospital immediately after the fire was doused. A hospital source said, “The bodies were charred beyond recognition. We cannot even conduct post-mortem, they will now be sent for DNA analysis.”

The three injured were first rushed to IGM Hospital in Bhiwandi, but with no burns ward in the hospital, they were later shifted to Thane Civil Hospital. Vinod Yadav (21), a worker inside the godown, sustained maximum burns. “He has 43 per cent burns and will require advanced burn care. There are burn injuries all over his body,” a doctor from IGM Hospital said. The two others, Bahadur Chauhan (18) and Girish Chauhan (18), suffered from 23 and 10 per cent burns respectively. According to hospital sources, all three are in stable condition.

The fire brigade received a call of the fire at around 2.57 AM and managed to put it out by 7 AM, after four-long-hours, using three fire engines and water from a nearby well. Cooling operations were underway till 11.30 AM. According to officials, the 100 by 50 square meter godown was used to build wooden crates and had workers living inside, judging by the charred clothes and utensils.

“Eight people were charred and we managed to rescue three who had sustained severe burns and have taken them to Indira Gandhi hospital. There are rumours of two more trapped inside, we haven’t been able to know for sure. If they are still trapped, which is highly unlikely, they would not have survived,” said a fire official at the site. ​

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App