Police have arrested the fourth accused in connection with the killing of an army jawan after he confronted eveteasers here. Chhavindra, a resident of Golabad, was arrested late last night at his home, Superintendent of Police Omprakash said today.
Three other accused – Akash Saini, Sanju and Satish Saini – were arrested on Saturday.
“With this, all the four main accused in the case have been arrested,” the SP said.
Police had said that the accused will be booked under the stringent National Security Act after the incident sparked widespread outrage.
- Jawan booked for minor’s ‘rape’, Bareilly village tense
- Assam lynching case: Prime accused who made provocative calls held
- Three men from MP held for gang-rape of woman in Goa
- Escape from Pune’s Sassoon hospital: Over the years, many cases of inmates fleeing from custody
- 56-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minor
- Delhi: Man, son arrested for beating stray dog to death
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had yesterday announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the family the soldier Vedmitra Chaudhury. Chaudhury, a Lance Naik in 416 Engineering Brigade, had gone to get milk from a booth on Rohtak Road in Hardevnagar when he saw some youths teasing the daughter of the booth owner.
He came to the girl’s rescue and even beat up one of the eve-teasers – Akash Saini, police said. Later, Akash called his friends, who arrived at the spot armed with sticks and assaulted Chaudhury, leaving him seriously injured.
The jawan, who was staying at Gopal Vihar with his wife and children, was admitted to Army Hospital where he succumbed to injuries on Friday night, police said.