3-yr-old raped,flung into sea off Mumbai cityhttps://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/3yrold-raped-flung-into-sea-off-mumbai-city/

3-yr-old raped,flung into sea off Mumbai city

The mother who has remarried,is pointing an accusatory finger at her first husband.

The body of a three-year-old girl was found floating in the sea near Maker Tower (L) in Cuffe Parade on Thursday morning. Police sources said a post-mortem examination had revealed that the girl — a resident of Ambedkar Nagar in the area — had been raped and strangled.

“The report said she was raped and strangled. The body was thrown into the sea later,” said an officer,requesting anonymity.

The girl had gone missing from her Cuffe Parade house around 2 am and the family had approached the Cuffe Parade police around 4 am to register a missing person’s complaint. The body was found around 8.30 am after a person alerted the police.

“She was staying with her mother’s grandparents in Ambedkar Nagar while her mother resides with her second husband at Shiv Shakti Nagar in the area. At this stage,we suspect that her first husband,who is the girl’s father,may have something to do with her death,” said Assistant Commissioner of Police (Colaba Division) Iqbal Shaikh.


The girl’s father,a driver with a delivery firm,is absconding. Officers revealed that the 30-year-old is a resident of Ambedkar Nagar itself.

Shaikh said the police started suspecting his involvement in the crime after the girl’s mother told them about a telephone conversation she had with him a few days ago.

“The mother used to go and meet the daughter at times but did not keep the latter with her. A few days ago,she had called up her first husband and asked him if he wanted custody of their daughter. She told him that she would sign the requisite papers but he refused. She had asked him what they could do and he had told her to wait for two days and see what happens. The girl was found dead exactly two days later,” Shaikh said.

“The girl was sleeping next to her great-grandmother,who claims she was there at midnight. The woman woke up around 2 am,when the girl was missing.”

Sources revealed that platoons of State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) have been deployed at the Cuffe Parade police station,fearing violence by residents. Extra personnel have also been sought to avoid a flare-up.

The girl’s neighbours said the family hardly interacted with anyone. “They kept to themselves and the grandparents took good care of the child. The mother would not come here often and whenever she did,her interactions with others were minimal. We did not even know that the child was missing until morning,” said Punita K,one of them.

For latest coverage on Haryana and Maharashtra Elections, log on to IndianExpress.com. We bring you the fastest assembly election 2019 updates from each constituency in both the states.