A total of 24,771 dowry deaths have been reported in the country in past three years with maximum of them occurring in Uttar Pradesh with 7,048 deaths.
In a written reply in Lok Sabha, Women and Child Development Ministry Maneka Gandhi said that 8,233, 8,083, and 8,455 cases were registered under section 304B of the Indian Penal Code (Dowry Death) in the country in 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively.
- Uttar Pradesh: Woman beaten to death over dowry
- Sexual assault: Centre sends states list of dos, don’ts to firm up case
- Infographic: Andhra Pradesh tops list in dowry cases in 2012
- Most murders by spurned lovers in Andhra,UP: NCRB study
- Highest crime against women in Bengal,Andhra: NCRB data
- With 414 sexual assault cases,Delhi is countrys undisputed rape capital
Uttar Pradesh is followed by Bihar and Madhya Pradesh with 3,830 and 2,252 deaths during the same period.
As per National Crime Records Bureau data, the country has recorded 3.48 lakh cases of cruelty by husband or his relative and West Bengal tops the chart with 61,259 such cases in past three years, followed by Rajasthan (44,311) and Andhra Pradesh (34,835).
“Government conducts awareness generation programmes and publicity campaigns on various laws relating to women including Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 through workshops, fairs, cultural and training programmes, seminars etc,” the Minister said.