Follow Us:
Tuesday, December 01, 2020

22 infants die in Odisha govt hospital, state human rights body asks for report

Taking suo moto cognizance of the matter, the Odisha Human Rights Commission issued notices to the officials of Cutack's Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Post Graduate Institute of Paediatrics.

Written by Debabrata Mohanty | Bhuaneswar | August 24, 2015 9:01:04 pm

With death of 22 infants in Cutack’s Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Post Graduate Institute of Paediatrics (SVPPGIP) during last four days, the Odisha Human Rights Commission (OHRC) on Monday asked the state health secretary and director of National Rural Health Mission to submit report in three weeks.

In the last 24 hours, nine infants have died in the government-run SVPPGIP. Parents of the deceased children attributed the deaths to negligence by doctors, nurses and other hospital staff. At least 21 newborns in the ICU and 300 other kids are undergoing treatment at the hospital and at least 40 of them, including the newborns in the ICU, are in critical condition.


Taking suo moto cognizance of the matter, the OHRC issued notices to the officials.

Parents who had brought their kids in serious condition to the hospital alleged that the doctors kept them waiting for their admission to the ICU. A mother whose baby died said the doctors and nurses did not pay attention despite she pleading about her son’s critical condition. Another parent said the doctors are unable to diagnose the infection of his son. Yesterday, parents and relatives of the kids raised a furore in the hospital after the death of two infants who were diagnosed with severe jaundice and respiratory infection.

Hospital authorities refuted the allegations saying the conditions of the newborns were extremely critical. Superintendent Prof Niranjan Mohanty said the doctors tried their best to revive the newborns, but failed. “All those who died were very serious patients. Most of them were newborns,” he said.

He said there has been no negligence in treatment as most of the the babies that died had been in the ventilator since past four days. “However, we have instituted an enquiry by a high-level team comprising deputy superintendent, two heads of departments and the hospital administrator. The team would submit its report within a day,” he said.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by