Two former terrorists, who had surrendered five years ago to later join the police force as Special Police Officers (SPOs), have deserted the force to rejoin the terrorist ranks in J&K’s Doda district, sources said.
While senior police officers were tight lipped over the matter, sources identified them as Ghulam Mohammad Mangnoo alias Moulvi alias Gulla Tailor in Doda and Riaz Ahmed of Dedni. The former had surrendered as the district commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba before Doda Police in 2010, while the latter had surrendered before Kathua Police as a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist the same year.
- J&K MBA graduate joins Hizbul Mujahideen, family urges him to return
- Two youths from Jammu region join militant ranks
- J-K: Special Police Officer goes missing with AK-47 rifle
- J-K: Two cops injured in firing at police picket in Doda
- J&K: Two militants killed by security forces during encounter in Doda
- J&K: Two former terrorists who surrendered to joined police force rejoin terrorist ranks
Mangnoo, who was posted as an SPO at the Kashrian police post in Beoli area near Doda town, was reportedly absconding with an INSAS rifle along with 60 rounds. Riaz was posted at District Police Lines in Doda and is reportedly missing with an AK 47 rifle and 90 rounds. Both the SPOs appeared to have deserted along with their respective service weapons and ammunition last night, sources said, adding that the police came to know about it when they did not report for duty on Tuesday morning.
Mangnoo, who was also running a tailoring shop at Irfana Mohalla, was behind the throwing of a grenade at a religious place in Doda town in 2004.