Punjab deputy chief minister and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) president Sukhbir Singh Badal, in a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has said that there is a sense of disappointment and resentment among the Sikh community over victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots not being compensated immediately after an announcement in this regard.
Badal’s media advisor Jangveer Singh said the deputy CM pointed out that a lot of ground had to be covered to ensure comprehensive justice for the riot victims. The letter stated that the compensation was being seen as the first concrete step in this direction.
It added that recent developments, however, gave the impression that the Centre was yet to take a decision on awarding Rs 5 lakh each as compensation to the families of the riot victims, as announced on October 30, and that the move seemed to be at the proposal stage only.
“I would like to draw your attention to the confusion created amongst the Sikh community on this issue,” Badal said. “You would recall that immense goodwill had been generated for the NDA government after the announcement that the Centre would award compensation to the massacre victims.”