Seven workers were killed after a landslip occurred at the construction site of a multiplex at Lakshmipuram in Guntur on Saturday night. Another worker was rescued in a critical condition and rushed to the Government General Hospital for treatment.
The workers belonged to Gottipadu village under Pattipadu constituency adjacent to Guntur city. The state government announced a compensation of Rs 20 lakh each to the victims’ families, Guntur district Collector Kantilal Dande said.
The incident occurred on Saturday night when the 30-feet deep basement work related to the multiplex was going on. Some 18 workers were said to be working there when suddenly eight of them were caught in a landslip. Following the alarm raised by co-workers, excavators were pressed into service to clear the mud and extricate those trapped underneath.
- Philippines: Landslide kills 12, dozens feared trapped
- CM Mamata Banerjee ordered audit, PWD cleared Kolkata Majherhat bridge that collapsed
- Majerhat bridge collapse: Worker’s body found, toll now 2
- Ground report from Kerala: 1,155 shelter camps operational, IMD predicts relief from rain after Sunday
- Mumbai gets season’s heaviest rainfall: Cars buried, residents moved after highrise wall caves in
- Andhra Pradesh rain toll up to 32; 80,000 evacuated
Initially, only one body could be extricated even as rescue effort was hampered due to collapse of a compound wall of an adjacent building.
The National Disaster Response Force personnel from Mangalagiri rushed to the accident spot and stepped up the operation to dig out bodies.
The workers were identified as T Seshu (21), B. Saolomon (21), B Sunil (21), J Prasanth (18), B Rajesh (25), J Sudha (40) and B Babu (18), Guntur Municipal Commissioner Nagalakshmi said.
Irate villagers of Gottipadu attacked Social Welfare Minister Ravela Kishore Babu’s car as he reached the spot late in the night.
Ravela represents Pattipadu constituency and all victims belong to it. Sensing the angry mood of the victims’ relatives, police whisked the minister away from the scene in their vehicle.