Seven persons, including three children and as many women, sustained severe burn injuries on Sunday after a fire broke out in an illegal firework manufacturing unit in Naihati area of North 24 Parganas district.
Fire brigade officials said the fire ravaged two store rooms, one room where the work was going on and a bedroom of the house where the factory was functioning at Debgram locality.
Two of the injured children are eight years old and the third one is 11 years, the officials said, adding all the seven victims suffered 60-70 per cent burns.
- Fireworks explosion kills 24, injures 49 near Mexico City
- Four-year-old boy dies in fire at Delhi’s RK Puram society
- Fire at Scindia House, seven hospitalised for suffocation
- Level-4 fire breaks out in South Mumbai’s Scindia House office, no casualties reported
- Delhi: Owner of nail polish unit killed in fire, two injured
- Mumbai: Toddler dead, seven family members injured in major fire at Chembur slum
The injured were taken to JNM Hospital in Kalyani where their condition was stated to be critical.
Two fire tenders managed to control the fire in the factory which was termed ‘illegal’ by fire brigade officials.
The owner of the factory fled after the incident.