In a brave act, a visually impaired youth overpowered and captured one member of a gang of mobile phone snatchers even though two others managed to flee with his smart phone near Delhi University’s north campus area, police said on June 19. The incident took place on June 17 when the complainant, Shakir, was heading towards an ATM counter in Mukherjee Nagar area, with help of his high-end mobile phone when the three-member gang on a motorcycle targeted him, a senior official said.
Acting spontaneously, Shakir grabbed one of the pillion riders and pulled him down as his accomplices fled.
Realising that Shakir was visually impaired, the accused attacked Shakir, but he endured it all until locals rushed to his rescue and called up police, the official said.
- Two bystanders among four dead as gang opens fire at rivals, accused on the run
- Online DU exam catches some disabled students off guard
- Now, weekly targets for phone snatchers
- 26-yr-old MPhil student robbed, beaten up in northwest Delhi’s Mukherjee Nagar area
- Sunday Story: Social, religious tensions haunting Mangalore’s youth
- Gang member arrested for killing cop who gave chase
The accused, identified as Vijay (22), has been arrested while his accomplices — Dhiraj and Pappu — are still absconding.
Efforts are on to nab them, DCP (northwest) Vijay Singh said.