Condemning the attack on Dalits and BJP MP Tarun Vijay who were trying to enter a temple in Uttarakhand’s Chakrata, BSP supremo Mayawati Saturday said the Harish Rawat-led government there should have provided adequate security to the MP and others to prevent this unfortunate incident.
In a statement, Mayawati demanded that the Harish Rawat-led government should take strict action against the “casteist” attackers and provide free medical facilities to those injured.
She said the MP leading Dalits into a temple, where entrance of persons belonging to backward castes is prohibited, was a sensitive matter and the state government should make adequate security arrangements for Dalit leaders so that similar incidents don’t occur in future.
- Bhim Army making inroads to oust BJP, RSS in the coming polls
- In Karnataka swearing-in, Dalits read Maya message for polls
- SC/ST stamps on police aspirants’ chest: Rahul Gandhi attacks BJP over ‘casteist mentality’, Mayawati questions PM Modi’s silence
- BSP chief Mayawati warns officers lodging ‘false cases’ against Dalits
- Casteist elements using Dalits, tribals as scapegoats, says Mayawati
- Harish Rawat visits injured BJP MP, assures stringent action against guilty
Vijay was attacked on Friday by a mob and his car vandalised after he came out of Silgur Devta temple with Dalit leaders in Chakrata, 180 km from Dehradun. Chief Minister Harish Rawat met the MP in the hospital and assured that strict action will be taken in the matter.
Conveying her greetings to the people on the occasion of Buddha Purnima, Mayawati said Buddha’s message of peace, humanity and brotherhood is not just relevant in current times, but is most needed in the country these days.
She stated that BSP formed its governments in UP four times and built several memorials, parks, museums as well as named several colleges, universities and a district after him to make his thoughts immortal.
Mayawati said there is no place for casteism, inequality and varna system in Buddhism, a religion which was embaced by Dalit icon B R Ambedkar. BSP’s movement is also dedicated towards these goals, she added.